Verizon.net Email Login Issue
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yesterday my Samsung smartphone and two Microsoft Surface devices lost the ability to log into my verizon.net Email account.

I keep receiving a box requesting me to re-enter the password, but, the devices still won't sync, thus resulting in another email password verification request.

I have no problem accessing the verizon.net Email if I go directly to aol.com.

This tells me that AOL appears to have either made a change in how verizon.net accounts need to be configured within our devices, or, is now requiring users to go directly to aol.com to access the accounts.

For clarification, I'm using the stock Samsung Email app on my smartphone and the stock Microsoft Email app on my Surface devices, so, this issue affects both Android and Windows. 🤔

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon.net Email Login Issue
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I tried the procedure outlined at the following AOL help page. I re-added my verizon.net account to my smartphone and both of my Surface devices and everything is functioning properly.  😊

The downside is that you will be required to accept a new system-generated password. ðŸ˜«

Create and manage third-party app passwords - AOL Help

View solution in original post

ronzie1
Contributor - Level 2

I'm having the same problem using Thunderbird configured to access my verizon.net email using pop. It gives the error "Sending of password for user USERNAME did not succeed. Mail server pop.verizon.net responded: [SYS/TEMP] Server error - Please try again later." downforeveryoneorjustme.com reports pop.verizon.net and smtp.verizon.net are down. However, I can ping both from my Windows machine, which reports the actual addresses as global-jpop-aol.mail.gm0.yahoodns.net and smtp.verizon.g03.yahoodns.net. I can use the aol web site to access my mail, but it is a nuisance.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have my verizon.net account set up as an imap as opposed to pop in all three devices. 🤔

whitemdd2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm seeing this issue too. Seems to have started about 8 pm EDT Jul 12. Mozilla Thunderbird and Android mail app affected.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I've deleted my verizon.net account from my devices until AOL resolves the trouble.

whitemdd2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Was chatting with @AOLSupportHelp on Twitter. They said I need to set an APP password to continue using Thunderbird.

The instructions here at least allow me to recieve E-mail in Thunderbird.
https://help.aol.com/articles/allow-apps-that-use-less-secure-sign-in

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

AOL email accounts changed a few months ago. I don't recall seeing verbiage indicating that verizon.net accounts would follow suit.

My AOL accounts work fine with the Samsung Email app. The Microsoft Email app has trouble with them. My verizon.net account fails on both systems. 🤔

ronzie1
Contributor - Level 2

It was bad enough when Verizon farmed out their email to AOL, but this is now absurd! Providing an email account is a basic service for an isp, we shouldn't have to use an outside email provider!

ronzie1
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks, the app password seems to be working, for now.

Weirdly, I just noticed that one of my @verizon.net addresses is working, without using my regular password, not an app password.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

In a way, I can understand Verizon's reasoning for moving their verizon.net accounts to AOL.

Verizon owned AOL at the time, so, the company was supporting verizon.net, aol.com and yahoo.com.

Rather than support three email platforms, Verizon took the smallest and migrated it over to one of the larger ones. Subsequently, Verizon decided to unload AOL and Yahoo.

Things went south when AOL decided to strengthen security. The results crippled email access by outside apps such as Microsoft's email & outlook. ☹

0 Likes