What will happen if I switch my Sim Card to a different phone while under contract?
xthelancerx
Enthusiast - Level 3

Recently, my mom upgraded from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone 6S. The SIM was left in the iPhone 5 but the phone was deactivated, new phone has its new SIM, programmed as the last one was.

1. However the last iPhone still sees Verizon LTE, 3G, etc. Why? What would happen if I tried to use these?

2. Should I take out the SIM card?

3. How does, for example, switching my SIM iinto a different Verizon phone work (Ex. The old iPhone 5).

4. Does being on contract or an installment plan change anything?

5. How does this look on the bill/online account? Will it change one of the phones to whatever the SIM went into?

I'm just generally curious if switching my SIM into a different phone will cause anything bad to happen especially while under contract/installment plan.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: SIM Questions
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Xthelancerx, congrats to her on the new iPhone! I know that sometimes it can be a confusing process and it does leave questions unanswered but no worries, help is here. Let’s dive in to help in any way we can. I’ve listed your question and the answer right underneath it so that you may keep tabs on the questions to make it easier to follow:

1. However the last iPhone still sees Verizon LTE, 3G, etc. Why? What would happen if I tried to use these?

It may still read those options on the phone however the phone is inactive.

Yes, taking the SIM card out is one thing we do suggest on any old phone. As being a 4G phone, it does have the option to re-program on it’s own if SIM card is in phone.

3. How does, for example, switching my SIM iinto a different Verizon phone work (Ex. The old iPhone 5).

With switching SIM cards, it will just activate the phone you place the SIM card in.

Being on either option does not change anything in regards to the phones. Was your question in regards to something different?

5. How does this look on the bill/online account? Will it change one of the phones to whatever the SIM went into?

Our apologies but I’m not quite understanding this question. As the phone has no bearing on the bill at all and no changes. So all would stay the same as far as billing. Only the plan and if you making payments toward the device shows up on the bill, besides taxes, features and promotions.

Let's like we got everything covered for you. If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to let us know.

TakendraW_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Xthelancerx, congrats to her on the new iPhone! I know that sometimes it can be a confusing process and it does leave questions unanswered but no worries, help is here. Let’s dive in to help in any way we can. I’ve listed your question and the answer right underneath it so that you may keep tabs on the questions to make it easier to follow:

It may still read those options on the phone however the phone is inactive.

Yes, taking the SIM card out is one thing we do suggest on any old phone. As being a 4G phone, it does have the option to re-program on it’s own if SIM card is in phone.

With switching SIM cards, it will just activate the phone you place the SIM card in.

Being on either option does not change anything in regards to the phones. Was your question in regards to something different?

Our apologies but I’m not quite understanding this question. As the phone has no bearing on the bill at all and no changes. So all would stay the same as far as billing. Only the plan and if you making payments toward the device shows up on the bill, besides taxes, features and promotions.

Let's like we got everything covered for you. If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to let us know.

TakendraW_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
xthelancerx
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay, thanks for the helpful answers, just have a couple more questions. There won't be any activation fee or anything bad that happens (contract with other phone cancels, forcing an ETF or forces you to pay out the remainder of the phone with an installment plan) when you put the SIM and activate the different phone right?

And what I meant on the "how does it look on the bill", does it simply change (where it lists all the lines) the phone you took the SIM out of to the phone you put the SIM in? Same contract fee/installment plan and everything?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That's a great question, xthelancerx! Allow me to provide some additional information. There is no activation fee for just switching devices, and it does not charge you an Early Termination Fee, or require that you pay off the device. Only in the event that you completely cancel the phone number would you need to pay off your Device Payment Plan.

MichelleH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes