5G home internet External IP gatewayed in another city
Danrita
Enthusiast - Level 1

Received the Verizon 5G home last week and have had great results with the service.  My only issue that no one can figure out is from start up the external IP address assigned to my device is gatewayed in Minneapolis, MN, Iowa falls IA or Wichita KS and I am in Omaha NE.    Verizon replaced my router but have the same issue, I enabled IP passthrough but same issue.  Normally I wouldn't care where I am gatewayed, but my streaming service thinks I am in those cities and gives me local tv channels that are 2-6 hours from my location.  I just figured out if I hard reset the device with a paper clip in the reset hole I get an Omaha IP address 75.212.219.xxx but after a reboot I get a Minneapolis IP 75.225.245.xxx.  I know these are Verizon IP's as ERIN.net tells me these are owned by Verizon business.  you can check your location of your external IP by going to iplocation.com.  I have seen my IP changes every night so I do not want to have to do a hard reset daily to get an Omaha IP address.   Verizon please fix your network so I am getting an Omaha IP address when my Verizon 5G home router reboots.    FYI speedtests are 244 X 20 at my house,  Other than this issue, I love this service!

Re: 5G home internet External IP gatewayed in another city
SHansche
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same issue. Can’t watch the local news or keep up on tornados because it keeps saying I live in Dallas. I live in Louisiana. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey, SHansche, I'm sorry for the inconvenience when trying to watch the local news using your 5G Home service. This device utilizes a dynamic IP address as opposed to a static IP address so the location assigned when connecting may very well be in another city and can change over time. I hope this helps clarify things for you.

-Lauren

0 Likes
LoudOnVille
Enthusiast - Level 1

The customer service response on 10-10-2023 mentions dynamic IP address assignments as the source of the "location" problem. This is an explanation of what is happening, but not an answer to the problem still happening to our  Verizon Internet Gateways.

The addresses can be dynamically assigned, but Verizon must do better.  

IP addresses, ( sometimes called IP address pools) are obtained and configured for use by labeling them with  a geographic location.  It appears Verizon has deployed fewer, larger pools of addresses, for dynamic assignment to Verizon Internet users when they establish connections.  Combine this with the ability to  borrow addresses from "nearby" pools if all the addresses in one pool have been "handed out" and are in use.  This behavior would explain why one connection is listed in ERIN as Cleveland, OH, and another connection, through the same cellular tower a short time later is assigned an IP address listed as Cincinnati, OH, or maybe Indianapolis, IN.

IF THE ISSUE is Verizon's deployment of Internet Gateway devices is so successful that the technicians cannot balance the supply/demand for addresses among the various pools, they should at least say so.

"Hey, we got so many new customers in Cleveland OH that after most of the Cleveland customers connect their white boxes, we run out of IP addresses locally to give to them (dynamically!).  So, we borrow  IP addresses from other pools. We didn't think anyone would notice".  

Well, we, the customers have noticed, and we want the situation fixed.

Thank you.                                  

CanThisJustWorkPlease
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having this same issue as well.  It is especially irritating because I use YouTubeTV for my regular TV (Left Spectrum and went with the combo of Verizon Internet and YouTubeTV about a month and a half ago), and those with that service know that it limits your concurrent streams when you are out of your "Home Area".  As of my last router reboot (and subsequent reboots as well) my devices all say they are connecting from the Chicago (where my new Verizon IP is based), but I live in Milwaukee.  I called and talked to a YouTubeTV support person for over an hour yesterday that got me literally nowhere - they say Verizon needs to fix it.  The result is that even though I pay YouTubeTV for the NFL Sunday Ticket I cannot watch multiple games at once (even though I am paying for them) because YouTubeTV thinks I am "traveling" and out of my home zip code.   This is EXTREMELY frustrating.  I am considering going back to Spectrum just for Internet to finally get rid of this Verizon issue.  They clearly could address it as other Internet carriers do.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're sorry to read about the issue with your service. Youtube TV support should be able to help you set up the location to your home address. I had to do this with my Hulu Live TV account and they were able to set it up on their end. ~Peter

0 Likes
excyclist
Enthusiast - Level 1

Again a reply that does not fix the issue, just pushes it down the road. 

NettieDou
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same issues and it is annoying and inconvenient.  Especially with YoutubeTV.  Verizon….need to do better as a supposed leader for this industry.  I live in Minneapolis not Omaha!!

NettieDou
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is your answer and solution to put it on YouTube TV to fix?  This is an internet gateway issue not an issue with YouTube TV.  So own it Verizon and fix it!

Uliphant
Enthusiast - Level 1

I completely agree.  I cant watch shows because it thinks im in another city and i can only temporarily move  every 90 i think it is.  We need local IP addresses!